Cinema, music and high culture
A review of 2022: these cultural events made an impact on audiences in Germany.
Culture charts – we look back at 2022. Of course, rankings in art and culture are not statements on artistic value, they reflect visitor interest, sales figures or demand on the internet.
Measured in terms of visitor numbers, worldwide interest and public debate, by far the biggest – and most controversial – cultural event of the year was documenta 15 (https://www.deutschland.de/en/topic/culture/documenta-2022-radically-new) in Kassel. The exhibition of contemporary art was visited by 728,000 people.
Here is a brief look at popular culture:
The most successful music productions in Germany from Germany
- Most successful album: Rammstein with the album 'Zeit' ('Time')
- Most successful hiphop album: Kontra K with the album 'Für den Himmel durch die Hölle' ('For Heaven Through Hell')
- Most successful vinyl album: Broilers 'Puro Amor Live Tapes'
- Most successful classical album: John Williams and the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra: 'John Williams: The Berlin Concert'
The most in-demand museums
- Science and technology: Deutsches Museum, Munich
- Culture: DDR-Museum, Berlin
- Nature: Ozeaneum, Stralsund
- Art: Pinakothek der Moderne, Munich
The most successful cinema films in Germany
1. Minions – Auf der Suche nach dem Mini-Boss (Minions – The Rise of Gru)
2. Top Gun Maverick
3. Phantastische Tierwesen – Dumbledores Geheimnisse (Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore)
The most successful cinema films from Germany
1. Karoline Herfurth's 'Wunderschön' (9th place overall)
2. Ed Herzog's 'Guglhupfgeschwader' ('Guglhupf Squadron') (12th place overall)
3. Fatih Akin's 'Rheingold' (18th place overall)
You would like to receive regular information about Germany? Subscribe here: