“Consequences for the relationship”

The foreign ministers of Egypt, Germany, France and Jordan issued a stark warning to Israel against annexing Palestinian land in the West Bank.

"Consequences for the relationship"
dpa

Berlin (dpa) - The foreign ministers of Egypt, Germany, France and Jordan issued a stark warning to Israel on Wednesday against annexing Palestinian land in the West Bank.

"We concur that any annexation of Palestinian territories occupied in 1967 would be a violation of international law and imperil the foundations of the peace process," the top diplomats said in a joint statement, after participating in a video conference together.

A planned Israeli annexation is expected to be based on US President Donald Trump's Middle East plan, which Palestinians have furiously rejected.

Under the US proposal, Israel would get sovereignty over some 30 per cent of the West Bank, which Israel has occupied since 1967. The Palestinians would be left with a discontiguous state on the remaining 70 per cent.

It is unclear exactly how much of the territory Israel now seeks to annex.

"We would not recognize any changes to the 1967 borders that are not agreed by both parties in the conflict," the four ministers said.

"We also concur that such a step would have serious consequences for the security and stability of the region, and would constitute a major obstacle to efforts aimed at achieving a comprehensive and just peace."

The Egyptian, German, French and Jordanian foreign ministers warned that an annexation would "have consequences for the relationship with Israel."

They reiterated their commitment to the two-state solution based on international law and relevant UN resolutions.

The four countries also offered their support in facilitating further negotiations between Israel and the Palestinians.