Berlin (dpa) - German Defence Minister Annegret Kramp-Karrenbauer on Friday promised support to towns affected by the planned withdrawal of close to 12,000 US troops.
"Regarding the unfortunate withdrawal plans of the US troops, I will invite the state premiers of the affected states at the beginning of the session after the summer to discuss how the ... [German army] can support the affected regions," Kramp-Karrenbauer said.
Kramp-Karrenbauer also stressed that she wanted to see Europe do more to ensure its own security.
"The truth is that good life in Germany and Europe increasingly depends on how we ensure our own safety. I want us to finally move forward faster with European security and defence policy," the minister said.
Germany would use its current term at the helm of the European Union's rotating presidency to pursue this aim, she added.
The planned withdrawal of 11,900 US troops from three German bases announced earlier this week will hit local economies hard.
The costly reorganization by the Trump administration, the details of which have been awaited for weeks, has been met with criticism both in the US and Germany.